Have You Been Arrested for Drug Trafficking in New Jersey?
Drug trafficking in New Jersey is the illegal sale, production, transport, movement and distribution of illegal drugs and controlled dangerous substances (“CDS”) that have been obtained unlawfully. To be guilty of drug trafficking, an individual must knowingly or purposefully sell, produce or transport the drugs.
The penalties and severity of punishment will depend on the drug involved and the amount. Some of the most common drugs trafficked in the United States are: marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP, LSD and methamphetamines. New Jersey separates the drug and amount into varying degrees of offenses.
If you manufacture, distribute, or possess with an intent to distribute marijuana, you may face the following offenses:
- Less than one ounce = 4th degree offense
- More than one ounce, but less than five ounces = 3rd degree offense
- More than five ounces, but less than 25 ounces = 2nd degree offense
- More than 25 ounces = 1st degree offense
New Jersey cocaine laws are harshest on drug traffickers. If you manufacture, distribute, or possess with an intent to distribute cocaine or heroin, you may face the following criminal offenses:
- Less than half an ounce = 3rd degree crime
- More than half an ounce, but less than five ounces = 2nd degree crime
- More than five ounces = 1st degree crime
Drug trafficking also comes with hefty fines, possible jail time and license suspension. The following is a list of fines and jail time associated with first-degree drug trafficking crimes:
- Up to $500,000 in fines and at least 10 years in prison for the production or sale of 5 ounces or more of heroin or cocaine
- Up to $500,000 in fines and at least 10 years in prison for the production or sale of 100 milligrams or more of LSD
- Up to $500,000 in fines and at least 10 years in prison for the production or sale of 10 grams or more of PCP
A second-degree drug trafficking charge may cost you up to $75,000 and at least five years in prison. You may face a second-degree charge if you possess the following:
- 5 to 25 pounds of marijuana
- 1 to 5 pounds of hashish
- 0.5 to 5 ounces of methamphetamine
- 0.5 to 5 ounces of heroin or cocaine
- Less than 100 milligrams of LSD or less than 10 grams of PCP
- 0.5 to 5 ounces of P2P
- 1 ounce or more of methadone, mescaline, peyote, opium, DMT, or amphetamines
If more than two individuals are involved in the manufacture, distribution or transportation of illegal drugs or CDS, it may be considered a conspiracy. In such a case, the individuals involved many be classified as leaders of a drug trafficking ring or network. If you are found to be a leader of a drug trafficking ring, you will face a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years without parole. Additionally, you may also be fined up to $750,000, or five times the street value of the drug involved. A court will impose the greater of the two amounts. If you have been arrested for drug trafficking in New Jersey contact the criminal lawyers at Castronovo & McKinney for help immediately.